Your oral hygiene is not only important just for the aesthetic beauty of your smile to show off to your peers, but also to ensure your teeth and gums remain strong and healthy for the longevity of your life. If your health care tactics suffer, your mouth will suffer as well. The more you can do to prevent tooth decay, gum disease, or any form of oral accident or damage, the less likely the risk is to occur.
Taking care of your mouth begins with optimum oral hygiene. Here are some simple oral hygiene safety tips:
– Playing contact sports or high-risk activities without proper mouth guards can increase your risk for oral accidents.
– If you grind your teeth in your sleep or while you are stressed, you can wear your teeth down over time.
– Snacking constantly can put your teeth at a greater risk for tooth decay or gum disease. Try to avoid snacks in between meals.
– Chewing on pencils, nails, pen caps, or similar non-edible products can damage teeth and gums.
– Lip and tongue piercings can chip or crack teeth, introduce harmful bacteria to your mouth, or even increase your risk for infection to your gums.
– Do not open anything with your teeth. Even bottle caps can crack or chip teeth.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco increases risk for gum disease and oral cancer.
– It is wise to avoid products packed with sugar. These includes sodas, sports drinks, fruit juices, or candies. The bacteria in your mouth converts the sugar into harmful acids which can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Avoid hard food products that can chip or crack teeth, such as corn on the cob, candy apples, hard candy, or ice.
To learn more about what you can do to protect your teeth and gums, please contact our team of dentists at IQ Family & Cosmetic Dentistry by calling our office at 585-475-0140. We are conveniently located in Rochester, New York, and want to help make your smile the best it can be. To schedule an appointment or oral exam with Dr. Indra Quagliata, please call us today.